Sunday, December 20, 2009

The influence of one small hamster

I have always been someone who loves animals, and I'd like to think someday I could divert that energy to my own children. In the meantime, I decided to adopt a small hamster that ended up becoming something that I loved very much.

Most people I talk to about Dimmy find the idea that someone could love such a small animal/pet so much just crazy, though I really valued him as though he were my child. I played with him daily, bought him the various hamster treats, and he always had new toys. I talked about him frequently, and prided myself on the fact that he would come out of his hamster bed to say hi if I talked to him.

One day, I came home from work and noticed that Dimmy wasn't acting like his normal gregarious self. It turns out that Dimmy had aquired a nasty eye infection that was both painful and blinding. I took him to the vet, who said that he would either suffer and die, or hopefully get better after surgery. Of course I went with the latter option, and he did do well for a few days. I had to hand feed him and give him water daily with a lot of antibiotics. I had high hopes for his recovery, but I woke up one morning to find that he had died in his sleep.

I buried him that same day in a nice area in my new back yard---crying throughout the entire process. Ok I know what you must be thinking---this is too much, but he was really important to me.

It makes me realize that he was a real source of joy for me, as most pets are to their owners. A little corner in my room, which once housed a happy, fat hamster now stands vacant. That joy people feel with their pets and loved ones is the very thing that makes life so exceptionally beautiful. Dimmy gave me that feeling, and I am glad that I had him in my life for the time that I did.

3 comments:

  1. Very touching! It's the circle of life I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This entry really made me realize that I'm not the only person in the world going through this. Thank you for writing this, and thank you for being in my life to help me through this (without realizing it). Life brings random people in and out of our lives for reasons, and we may not know what the reason it at the time; you're one of those people for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete