Monday, May 4, 2009

Job Searching/Interviewing

Having just graduated in December, I have recently began the job searching/interviewing process. It has been an incredibly interesting experience, for the better and worse.

I had heard from friends that Careerbuilder.com was a great way to both submit your resume to potential employers and post your resume online to allow recruiters to see your credentials (if you are new to this process, you should definitely read this). Careerbuilder is a great way to network with companies that are actively interviewing for vacant positions, and I have received several opportunities from this web site, though one should know that not all employers are as credible or professional as their sales/recruiting pitch may sound. I encourage you to do research on the company before even taking an interview.

For instance, I applied for a sales position within an international company on Careerbuilder and was contacted within 48 hours by a soft-spoken lady, who I assumed to be the company's recruiter. We scheduled an interview, much to my excitement, and I decided to check out the company's web site just to see what I was getting into. I was a little under-impressed, but still had high hopes for my first interview.

I showed up for the interview at a nice office building in Franklin. I entered the building and walked by several very nice offices with glass facades and nice displays. I noticed a door off to the side, which at first I thought was a janitorial closet, as the other offices had glass entry ways. I passed by the door and noticed the company's name on the door. "This must be it," I thought and walked into the office.

My first impression was "dirty after hours club" and I took the walk of shame to the "reception" desk. I instantly realized that the soft-spoken lady who had called me wasn't the company recruiter---she was the receptionist. I was pretty sure that companies have specific positions to select applicants out, and act as company recruiters, so I began to question whether this interview was going to be a complete waste of time.

I sat down in an office chair and began to fill out pre-interview paperwork while listening to what sounded to be Bret Michaels being played in the reception area. That was it.

I decided to take a permanent bath room break and peaced out.. Come to find out one of my best friends Greg, had a similar experience where a company, who was also seeking college graduates, had him going to gas stations trying to sell predator's tickets for his second interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment